Re: Game Controllers

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 1:01 PM, Dmitry Torokhov
<dmitry.torokhov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, May 02, 2013 at 09:46:44AM -0400, Todd Showalter wrote:
>>
>> left stick: ABS_X, ABS_Y
>> right stick: ABS_RX, ABS_RY
>
> Not sure about this one. Originally RX, RY and RZ were introduces for
> device having more than 3 degress of freedom; and RX is used by many
> joystick devices. We'd ether need a property bit to distinguish gamepad
> from a joystick or simply ass ABS_X2, ABS_Y2 etc for the second stick.

    I'd be happy to have ABS_LX, ABS_LY and ABS_RX, ABS_RY, I was just
looking at what was available in input.h and what the xbox pads were
already doing.  Likewise, mapping the dpad as HAT0X, HAT0Y is a little
wierd and ABS_DX, ABS_DY would probably be better.

>> dpad: ABS_HAT0X, ABS_HAT0Y
>> left trigger: ABS_Z
>
> Huh?
>
>> right trigger: ABS_RZ
>
> Not at all. These are not absolute events but rather buttons, so let's
> define them as such.

    Most game controllers these days (including ps3 and xbox/xbox 360)
have analog shoulder triggers.  On Microsoft, LT and RT are analog
(0..255) and LB and RB are digital.  On ps3, L1, L2, R1 and R2 are
actually pressure sensitive and are exported both as analog (0..255)
and digital; I figured we'd treat LR1 as digital, LR2 as analog.  The
Wii Classic controller has L and R analog, ZL and ZR digital, though
IIRC the Classic Pro controller has L and R as digital.

    Here's a complete mapping for some well known controllers:

left stick
  - ps3, xbox, xbox360, wiiclassic, ouya -- left stick

right stick
  - ps3, xbox, xbox360, wiiclassic, ouya -- right stick

dpad
  - ps3, xbox, xbox360, wiiclassic, ouya -- dpad

shoulder analog triggers
  - ps3 -- L2, R2, use pressure values
  - xbox, xbox360 -- LT, RT
  - wiiclassic -- L, R
  - ouya -- unsure what they're called, but it has them

shoulder digital buttons
  - ps3 -- L1, R1
  - xbox, xbox360 -- LB, RB
  - wiiclassic -- ZL, ZR
  - ouya -- unsure what they're called, but it has them

face buttons (NORTH, EAST, SOUTH, WEST)
  - ps3 -- triangle, circle, x, square
  - xbox, xbox360 -- Y, B, A, X
  - wiiclassic -- x, a, b, y
  - ouya -- Y, A, O, U

stick buttons
  - ps3, xbox, xbox360, wiiclassic -- left stick click, right stick click
  - ouya -- unsure if this is supported,

start button
  - ps3, xbox, xbox360, wiiclassic -- start
  - ouya -- not present, developers are asking for one

system button
  - ps3 -- playstation logo button
  - xbox -- not available
  - xbox360 -- glowy x button
  - ouya -- system (U) button

select button -- arguable
  - ps3, wiiclassic -- select
  - xbox, xbox360 -- back
  - ouya -- not present, developers are asking for one

                                      Todd.

--
 Todd Showalter, President,
 Electron Jump Games, Inc.