Re: hid-multitouch: eGalax Touchscreen not resuming after suspend

Hi Benjamin,

Am Mittwoch, 21. November 2012, 14:36:33 schrieb Benjamin Tissoires:
> On 11/21/2012 10:33 AM, Jan-Matthias Braun wrote:
> >>
> >> I assume you are talking about v3.6.7...
> >
> > You are right, of course. Sorry for the distraction.

> >> strange. I have tested the procedure with the eGalax 0x72FA I got, and
> >> I'm not seeing this problem on a 3.6 kernel.
> >>
> >> Is the config symbol CONFIG_PM set to "y" in your .config file?
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> >> Also, can you try to rmmod / modprobe hid-multitouch when the device
> >> is not responding and see if this solves things.
> >
> > This is not working for me. On modprobe the Kernel log says
> >
> > [12537.335946] input: eGalax Inc. USB TouchController as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.2/usb4/4-1/4-1:1.0/input
> > /input13
> > [12537.336875] hid-multitouch 0003:0EEF:725E.0001: input,hiddev0,hidraw0: USB HID v2.10 Pointer [eGalax Inc. USB TouchController] on usb-0000:00:1d.2-1/input0
> >
> > but /dev/input/event13 is not created. To be honest, I don't even know, if it should be created.
>
> no, the input13 here has nothing to do with the device node /dev/input/eventX
>
> > What happens is, that /dev/input/event10 vanishes on removal of the hid-multitouch module and then reappears after modprobe. But a cat on it wont show a reaction while touching the screen's surface.
>
> the event10 vanishing is normal, you removed the driver, so the device is not here outside of the kernel.
> When you modprobe, it's back!
> However events should come from this node.

> >> What kind of driver did you use before?
> >
> > I think, there was a separate usb touchscreen driver for egalax devices before something like kernel version 3.2. This one I used. Long story short: I have never used the vendor supplied drivers, but those coming with the kernel.
>
> Ok, so either you must have patched hid-egalax to handle your device, either you used an other usb driver (it would be great if you can find out which).
> The weird thing is that hid-egalax does not do anything at resume, so I doubt we should look there.

Okay, I think it has been the driver for generic usb hid devices, I have been using.
I have been testing some more kernel versions and found out, that a module reload after resume will solve the problem at least for kernel versions 3.4, 3.5.0, and 3.5.4. For the current stable series this doesn't hold true and the problem arises as described.
Nevertheless, even the 3.4 and 3.5 series need a module reload, for the device to work after a resume.

I could do a bisection search to find the commit that caused the secondary problem of module reload being uneffictive after resume, although this could take quite some time to complete, atm. I am trying to test commit 5519cab477b61326963c8d523520db0342862b63 now, to find out, how the first version behaves with my device.

> Anyway, can you try the following patch which is already include in the next 3.7 release?

This patch doesn't change the behaviour I am experiencing after resume.

Cheers,

Jan-Matthias Braun