Re: HID-generic + HID-ANOTHER interaction problems

On Fri, 16 Nov 2012, Adam Sutton wrote:

> I'm using a small distro (OpenELEC) that's targeted at providing a media
> centre system based on XBMC.
>
> Personally I use a USB/IR remote control that had a custom hid driver
> (hid-spinelplus) generated by someone in the community and modified by
> Stephen Raue (the OpenELEC maintainer). This was working fine up until
> fairly recently when it seems changes in the HID stack appear to have
> broken things.
>
> >From what I can tell the problem relates to hid-generic. Specifically this
> module appears to be checked before hid-spinelplus (and others?) during
> driver discovery. Since hid-generic will also match my device it steals it
> before hid-spinelplus and I lose most of the functionality. Simply removing
> hid-generic fixes things for me, but is obviously not a solution for the
> wider community.
>
> One thing I'm not sure about is whether this relates to the fact that OE
> builds in all modules rather than dynamically loading them (since its very
> stripped down anyway). One idea Stephen had was that we might make the
> hid-generic driver dynamically load so that it should be loaded after the
> others. I've not had a chance to test this and don't know whether it will
> work or is really the right solution.
>
> Any thoughts/ideas greatly appreciated?

Hi,

two answers to this:

- you can manually unbind hid-generic from your device and bind your
  driver to it. This is achieved through 'bind' and 'unbind' files in
  sysfs under /sys/bus/hid/...
- there is a in-kernel list of devices that have special driver, so that
  hid-generic is not driving those and defers to the specialized driver.
  This is hid_have_special_driver[] in hid-core.c.
  The best thing I'd suggest is submitting the driver to me for upstream
  vanilla kernel inclusion, together with the hid_have_special_driver[]
  addition. Once it's merged, you could stop caring about it, and it'll
  work all the time with never kernels automatically

--
Jiri Kosina
SUSE Labs