Re: [RFC/PATCH] Revert "Input: wacom - add 0xE5 (MT device) support"

On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 5:27 PM, Jonathan Nieder <jrnieder@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Ping Cheng wrote:
>
>> I feel very bad about the issue. More testing should have been done
>> among us during the development. Since the patch was touched by more
>> than one people at linuxwacom.sf.net project, we most likely did not
>> test TPC2FG devices after last person's change.
>
> It's not really about testing.  A patch adding MTSCREEN support simply

Here is an update on my testing (for hardware, I have to test to be
sure). The result shows driver in upstream and 3.2.20 both work with
TPC2FG.

I downloaded, built and installed 3.5.-rc2 and 3.2.20 from kernel.org
without changing anything in the source. 3.5.-rc2 works all right. But
I can not boot 3.2.20 on my system (the error has nothing to do with
wacom driver). I didn't waste my time to fix 3.2.20 since we only care
about Wacom driver now. I copied wacom driver from 3.2.20 to 3.5.-rc2
source and built there. Replaced wacom.ko for 3.5.-rc2 with the driver
built from 3.2.20 code. It also works.

Then, I built the driver from input-wacom-0.13.0 for 3.5.-rc2.
Everything built fine, no warnings. But when I load the driver, it did
not find the device. I need more time to figure out the root cause. We
most likely need to introduce a new base version for later kernels.
2.6.38 is too old.

Since this issue doesn't affect upstream, let's bring the discussion
to linuxwacom.sf.net.

Thank you for the heads up and suggestions. We'll sure be careful in the future.

Ping