Re: How to physically rotate the joystick wheel through the code/terminal.

> I wish to physically rotate the joystick wheel through the code/terminal.
> I mean if I run a command, the wheel should rotate to the left/right.
>
> I looked in
> here: http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/input/ff.txt
>
> Is ioctl() system call as shown in the above link appropriate for the task
> or I am barking at the wrong tree?
>
> Any hints on how to achieve this from userspace?

Hi Anisha,
You don't mention which distro you are on, but some/most have a test
application 'ffcfstress' which cycles the position of a wheel/joystick.

There is a 'spring force' which has an adjustable center, but most wheels
don't support this. 'ffcfstress' uses a 'constant force' (to the left or
right) and monitors the position of the wheel.

Thus using a control loop it modulates the amount of force, lowering it as
the wheel approaches it's target.

If you don't want to use the icotl interface, then you could look at a
userspace lib such as SDL1.3 which (mostly) supports ForceFeedback.

Cheers,
Simon