Re: Bug: touchpad unresponsive after resume from S3 (psmouse driver)

On 11-11-29 07:17 PM, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 02:43:35PM -0500, Daniel Manrique wrote:
>> On 11-11-29 12:53 PM, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
>>> Hi Daniel,

>>> Please do:
>>>
>>>  - enable i8042 debug (echo 1 > /sys/module/i8042/parameters/debug)
>>>  - rmmod psmouse;
>>>  - suspend/resume;
>>>  - collect dmesg;
>>>  - suspend/resume;
>>>  - collect dmesg again
>>>
>>> and we'll have to try and find what we do differently.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>

>> Hi Dmitry,
>>
>> Thanks so much for the quick reply!
>>
>> I just ran the tests you requested with some extra steps which I hope won't
>> confuse things. Here's the sequence I followed:
>>
>> - Enabled i8042 debug
>> - sudo rmmod psmouse. Touchpad of course becomes unresponsive.
>> - sudo pm-suspend
>> - Wake the machine by pressing power
>> - At this point touchpad is unresponsive.
>> - Collected dmesg-1.txt
>> - sudo pm-suspend
>> - wake the machine by pressing power
>> - At this point touchpad is still unresponsive.
>> - Collected dmesg-2.txt
>> - sudo modprobe psmouse. Touchpad begins responding.
>> - Collected dmesg-3.txt
>> - sudo pm-suspend
>> - wake the machine by pressing power
>> - At this point touchpad is again unresponsive.
>> - Collected dmesg-4.txt
>>
>> To avoid attaching largish files to this email, I put the logs on a
>> publically-accessible http server at:
>> http://people.canonical.com/~roadmr/lp715267/. Please let me know if you prefer
>> something else.
>>

> Hmm, it just does not want to admit that it is synaptics after reset.
> Does the patch below help any?

Hi Dmitry,

I applied the patch to a 3.2-series kernel (based off 3.2-rc3 I think). It
applied cleanly to psmouse.c, and after compiling the driver and putting it in
place of the old psmouse.ko, the touchpad works after resuming from suspend!

I did a comparison test by swapping drivers (old vs. new) without rebooting, by
rmmodding the existing psmouse driver, putting the old/new file in place,
reloading the driver and doing a suspend/resume cycle. Consistently, with the
old/original driver I still see the problem, but with the new/patched driver the
touchpad is always enabled after resume.

i only tested this on one of the failing Vostro V13, please let me know if I
should test for anything like possible misbehaviors on other previously-working
systems or some other kind of regression.

But still, this patch seems to work fine, thanks for this! What's the next step
for getting this fix into the official kernel? Anything I can do to help?

Thanks again,

- Daniel