Re: Bug: touchpad unresponsive after resume from S3 (psmouse driver)

Hi Daniel,

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 11:26:19AM -0500, Daniel Manrique wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I apologize for sending this bug report directly; with the kernel.org bugtracker
> down I was told this was the best option for the time being. If this is not
> correct, could you please let me know of a good place to submit this bug report?
>
> I have several Dell laptops with Synaptics touchpads, particularly a group of
> Vostro V13 systems. On these, after a suspend/resume cycle, the touchpad
> (Synaptics) is unresponsive; a workaround is to rmmod psmouse; modprobe psmouse.
>
> This was first reported on kernel 2.6.38, although I think the issue has been
> present from as early as 2.6.32. I verified it for sure with Ubuntu 2.6.38
> kernels, 3.0.0 kernels, and a 3.2.0 kernel from the development release, as well
> as a "mainline" 3.1.0-rc10 kernel.
>
> Since this problem was seen on Ubuntu, it's filed on the Launchpad bug tracker.
> The first report I can find is this one:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/715267
>
> This includes a series of log messages I don't see on my systems. I then filed
> this other bug:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/879650
>
> The last one contains specific information from one of my systems (a Vostro V13).
>
> I'd really appreciate any help or guidance on how to solve this problem. If you
> need me to collect any information or run any tests on these machines, please
> don't hesitate to ask, these systems are primarily used for testing.

Please do:

 - enable i8042 debug (echo 1 > /sys/module/i8042/parameters/debug)
 - rmmod psmouse;
 - suspend/resume;
 - collect dmesg;
 - suspend/resume;
 - collect dmesg again

and we'll have to try and find what we do differently.

Thanks.

--
Dmitry