Re: Interacting with a input kernel driver from user space

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 5:00 PM, Nuno Santos <nsantos@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> The best way probably is using sysfs. Register one sysfs attribute per
> value and configure your callbacks.
> There are several other subsystems that provide wrappers for them. If
> you could be more specific about the user-space interaction or
> configuration values, then we could also be more specific (hopefully
> ;)).
>
> sysfs? Need to dig about it. Is there any typical example I can look in
> kernel source? If you could point me one that would be great.

Almost every driver uses it. Look for "DEVICE_ATTR" in the driver
sources or drivers/input/input.c for instance.

> What do I need to exchange between the kernel and the user space is between
> a simple byte exchange and a whole structure of several bytes.
>
> Do you know the concept of IOCTLS in windows? Basicly that's what looking
> after.

No, sorry. I don't.

> I need to be able to communicate to and from the device from the an
> application build in Qt. So, there must be something really generic that I
> can call from the application environment. In windows I use window API to
> call IOCTLS interaction.

Why? I thought this thing is an input device? Why does an application
have to modify a running device? Is this modification local to the
application<->device interface or does it also affect all other
running applications that use this device?

If it is a configuration value to put the device into a different
state or similar, then you can use a sysfs attribute. The user can
change this with "echo <value> >/sys/class/input/inputX/<attribute>"

> With my best regards,
>
> Nuno

It would be really nice if you could elaborate a bit more. Tell me
what the device does and what access is needed from userspace. Then we
could try to point you to the interfaces.

Regards
David