Interacting with a input kernel driver from user space

Hi,

I'm developing a linux kernel driver for a multitouch device. Right now I have already touch being injected to the linux kernel subsystem and it is working. The problem is that I also need to interact with the device to change settings an so on.

While the kernel is grabbing the device I can't grab it in user space, so I need to find a way to interact with the kernel driver.

My first driver test (missile laucnher example found on the internet) had some extra operations that I can't find on the current model i'm using (usbtouchscreen driver was my starting point).

It had open, close, read, write operations that I could perform from user space.

How can I do such things with input drivers? Is there any official way?

Thanks in advance,

With my best regards,

Nuno Santos