Thinkpad Edge E220S trackpoint detection [was: Re: Lenovo X220 Touchpad + Trackpoint BIOS issue workaround ?]

Hi Dmitry,

I was reading through the linux-input thread (as mentioned in the subject)
regarding trackpoint detection, and noticed that it bore an uncanny resemblence
to the issue I'm currently having with my Thinkpad Edge E220S. I'll summarize
the situation on my E220S here, which I believe to be more or less the same as
the situation on the X220:
 - Main device is a Synaptics touchpad/
 - Trackpoint exists as a passthrough device/
 - Trackpoint not detected until first resynchronization happens.
 - Loss of sync can be triggered by moving the (undetected) trackpoint/

There seems to be a slight difference here though, in that I can't disable the
trackpoint or touchpad in my BIOS.

I noticed that you requested for the full i8042.debug output, so I looked into
doing just that, using the following steps:
1. rmmod psmouse
2. echo 1 > /sys/module/i8042/parameters/debug
3. modprobe psmouse
4. wait for i8042 to settle and stop spewing messages
5. move the trackpoint a bit.
6. wait for i8042 to settle and stop spewing messages again.

I have attached two snippets of /var/log/kern.log files to this email:
 - modprobe-psmouse-until-settle.log: The log output between steps #3 and #4.
 - touch-trackpoint-until-settle2.log: The log output between steps #5 and #6.

There are no messages output in between the two log files. I have just split
them for easier consumption (especially considering that the second log file is
4210 lines long).

Also, please CC me for replies, as I am not subscribed to this list.

--
Kind regards,
Loong Jin