Re: input_polling_devices design question + adxl34x polling mode patch

Hi Paul,

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 06:21:02PM +0200, paul.chavent@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I have  a board with an adxl34x (an accelerometer) on a two wire bus.
> Its interrupt line aren't routed.
>
> So i would like to use the driver in polling mode.
>
> I submit this patch as a beta version of my work.
>
> I tried to reuse the input_polling structure but I'm facing some
> problems.
>
> The driver has a "rate" attribute that i would like to control when i
> setup the "interval" attribute of the input_pollling.
>
> And vice versa, when i setup the "interval" attribute i would like to
> setup the "rate".
>
> So my questions :  - Is it possible to reimplement a workqueue for
> this driver only ? As it seems to have been done yet in other drivers,
> i wonder if it's acceptable, or if we should avoid this practice.   -
> I think it would be complicated to have hooks in input and
> input_polling for calling each other. I wonder if i haven't any design
> problem.
>
> I would need an advice in order to cleaning this patch please.

Yes, just use the system workqueue (now even dedicated workqueue is not
really needed) and leave input_polldev alone - it makes sense to use for
devices that are purely polled ones. The devices that may or may not be
interrupt driven I think we should just hook workqueue handling in the
driver.

Note that I normally oppose supporting polling mode for devices that may
be interrupt driven, since this normally increases power consumption.

--
Dmitry