Re: [RFC 09/18] input: add input driver for polled GPIO buttons

On Friday, November 12, 2010 14:50:36 Gabor Juhos wrote:
> The existing gpio-keys driver can be usable only for GPIO lines with
> interrupt support. Several devices have buttons connected to a GPIO
> line which is not capable to generate interrupts. This patch adds a
> new input driver using the generic GPIO layer and the input-polldev
> to support such buttons.

i havent looked at the two drivers to compare, but my gut reaction is "do we
really need two drivers" ?  cant the existing one be extended to support both
types ?  conceivably, you could have a device with both sources and a sep
driver would mean user space needs to watch two different devices.  and it
implicitly means userspace needs to be aware of interrupt vs polled
limitations of the hardware instead of it simply caring about GPIOs.
-mike