Re: Can I expect in-kernel decoding to work out of box?

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 1:21 PM, Andy Walls <awalls@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-07-28 at 13:04 -0400, Jon Smirl wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 11:56 AM, Mauro Carvalho Chehab
>> <mchehab@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > Em 28-07-2010 11:41, Jon Smirl escreveu:
>

>> Are there any IR protocols less than 20 (or 17) years old? If they are
>> older than that the patents have expired. I expect IR use to decline
>> in the future, it will be replaced with RF4CE radio remotes.
>
> UEI's XMP protocol for one, IIRC.

The beauty of LIRC is that you can use any remote for input.  If one
remote's protocols are patented, just use another remote.

Only in the case where we have to xmit the protocol is the patent
conflict unavoidable. In that case we could resort to sending a raw
pulse timing string that comes from user space.

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl@xxxxxxxxx