Re: New multitouch touchscreen over serial support

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 3:29 PM, Chase Douglas
<chase.douglas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Ping,
>
> I've got one of the new HP Mini 5102 touchscreen netbooks, which has a
> wacom multitouch touchscreen over serial. I haven't found any support
> for this device in the kernel, it seems X reads from it directly using
> xf86-input-wacom.

You are right.  There is no Wacom kernel driver for the Wacom serial
ISD version 4 device you are using.  Everything is in the Wacom X
driver.

> IMHO, the best support for this driver would be as a
> kernel module that could use the input subsystem to send multitouch
> events up through the evdev interface.

Sure, you can add yours and a bunch of the other serial WACfxxx
devices into the kernel under input/touchscreen (I believe Jaya Kumar
<jayakumar.lkml@xxxxxxxxx> has added the pen-only one there already).
But you would need to update the Wacom X driver as well.  Without the
proper X driver to work with it, kernel driver is pretty much useless.
 Or you may be able to let X evdev driver take care of it as a generic
touch screen device. I don't know how good the X evdev driver handles
the touch events though.

> Do you have any information on this device?

What kind of information do you need?  I have the protocol and you can
get one if you sign an NDA with Wacom.

> Would it be possible to write a driver?

Anything is possible on Linux :).  Someone has to do the work though.
I do not have time to work on it. That is the reality.

Ping