Re: Logitech M705 thumb button

On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 5:56 PM, Robert Schedel <r.schedel@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On 02.04.2010 13:27, Octoploid wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> I already verified this, but forgot to mention it in my last mail.
>>> There are indeed no USB events being triggered when I run
>>> "cat /sys/kernel/debug/usb/usbmon/ou".

>> OK, I have downloaded a trial version of a usb-monitor and
>> recorded the following initialization sequence.
>> Let me know it this helps.
>>
>> http://pastebin.org/131184
>
> You did not add info at which time you pressed which button, e.g. thumb button.

Basically: pull out the USB receiver, then plug it in and press the
thumb button a couple of times (which is kind of hard without
involuntarily moving the mouse).

> But, OK, init sequence is more important: Looking for "(DOWN)", there are several device-specific control blocks which resemble those sent by "lomoco" or other mouse tools for configuring Logitech features.
>
> Example, request 0x9, value 0x210, sent downstream:
>
> # 002448: Control Transfer (DOWN), 02.04.2010 11:14:55.341 +0.0
> # Pipe Handle: 0x0
> # Recipient: Interface
> # Request Type: Class
> # Direction: Host->Device
> # Request: 0x9 (Unknown)
> # Value: 0x210
> # Index: 0x2
> # Length: 0x7
>
> My guess is, some new init trigger is required from a userspace tool (only) to enable thumb button, no kernel issue. This is difficult to analyze though w/o the device available and w/o spec. You might
> a) fiddle with lomoco source code yourself, e.g. making the existing features work first + adding feature bits found in your protocol
> b) get in touch with the developers
> c) wait for someone more experienced to get the mouse and analyze

I choose option c) then ;-)
(I have no experience in this area whatsoever, and hoped that
some USB (HID) guru might see what is going on by just reading
the log.)