Re: Synaptics Multi touch capabilities

On Dec 27, 2009, at 8:43 AM, Erik Andrén <erik.andren@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

2009/12/27 Dmitry Torokhov <dmitry.torokhov@xxxxxxxxx>:
On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 12:54:16PM +0100, Erik Andrén wrote:
2009/12/25 Dmitry Torokhov <dmitry.torokhov@xxxxxxxxx>:
On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 11:54:27AM +0100, Erik Andrén wrote:
2009/12/23 Dmitry Torokhov <dmitry.torokhov@xxxxxxxxx>:
On Wednesday 23 December 2009 03:13:04 am Erik Andrén wrote:
Hi,
I have a ASUS 1005HA netbook equipped with a Synaptics touch pad: [ 18.341491] Synaptics Touchpad, model: 1, fw: 7.2, id: 0x1a0b1,
caps: 0xd04731/0xa40000

In Linux, no multitouch capabilities are detected (Zoom, two and three
finger button presses etc.).
This all works with the same hardware in windows 7.
Is there a bug in the linux driver preventing multitouch to work?

Linux Synaptics driver does not have full multitouch support (yet?). The 2- and 3- finger taps should work (provided that they are enabled in SYnaptics X
driver) but there is no multiple finger tracking...
They don't. I've tried with the 1.1.2 and 1.2.0 version of the xorg synaptics driver. But if this is the issue I guess I should take this
inquiry to the proper xorg mailing list.

Not yet, kernel needs to add support for this as well.

BTW, the capability 0xd04731 indicates that your hardware does not report
multi-finger taps.

I'm aware of that, but why does pinch and zoom then work in windows 7?
Is it possible to emulate this with a single touch touchpad?

I think your touchpad is a fully multi-finger one, not just multi- finger tapping like older touchpads. Only multi-finger tapping is currently
supported by Synaptcs X driver.

Could you elaborate on what a multi-finger touchpad is?

Multi-finger touchpad (or touchscreen) is a device that can recognize
several objects touching the surface of the device and report separate
sets of coordinates (and maybe more data) for every object.

The Synaptics PS/2 Touchpad Interface Guide, 3.2.6 states that two and three fingers are only detected when the capMultiFinger capability is
detected which according to the driver isn't detected for this
touchpad.

Apparently this guide is a bit obsolete.

I've downloaded the document from the synaptics website and it has a
2009 copyright which means its fairly recent.

As witnessed by the presence of ClickPads that are not documented there it is not complete.

Are you sure there are any other documentation? If so, do you have any
access to it? Or is this some kind of proprietary interface?

No, I do not.

--
Dmitry