Re: linux kernel HID problem with Saitek X52 Pro Flight System

Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 04:00:50AM +0200, Anssi Hannula wrote:
>> Tim Cole wrote:
>>> I know what you mean, but well -- ideally we want to converge on the
>>> correct behavior.  Otherwise we'll just keep spinning and things stay
>>> broken.
>>>
>>> To my view, blacklisting a joystick which (wrongly) reports itself as a
>>> digitizer tablet is an improvement over creating broken joystick devices
>>> for anything that reports itself as a tablet.  From that position we can
>>> fix the problem with the single device reporting the wrong device type
>>> and then everyone can be happy.
>> As far as I understood, we do not yet know why the joystick gets
>> assigned digitizer keys, as the HID debug information requested has not
>> been provided. We do not know for sure what the joystick itself reports
>> or whether it is wrong or not.
>>

> Well, the thing is reported ot have 39 buttons... HID simply starts at
> BTN_TRIGGER and goes form there.
>
> 39 buttons.. sheesh.. maybe we need to reclassify it as a keyboard and
> be done with it ;)

This might be an overly naive approach (or call it thinking loudly)...
It would probably break a lot of stuff when the JOYSTICK/TRIGGER block
moved to the 0x210 region, but would it be a solution to have a block
of additional joystick buttons there and check on assigning buttons to
a joystick, whether it traverses over to GAMEPAD and in that case skip
to the additional block?

-Stefan