Re: Apple Bluetooth devices: Battery level?

On Mon, 2009-06-08 at 15:33 +0200, Jiri Kosina wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Jun 2009, Bastien Nocera wrote:
>
> > I just got an Apple Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, and was wondering whether
> > anyone had information on how to get the battery level from the device
> > (the keyboard apparently also allows that):
> > http://support.apple.com/kb/TA27118?viewlocale=en_US
> >
> > Anyone with an idea? An unparsed HID event? Does it need "poking"?
>
> If the mouse is standard-compliant, it should be sending the battery level
> strength in usage 0x20 of device controls page (0x06).
>
> Could you please obtain HID debug dump (CONFIG_HID_DEBUG + modprobe hid
> module with 'debug=2')

I found that for pretty much all the input problems, I'd need to do
something like that. Problem is:
- enabling CONFIG_HID_DEBUG requires rebuilding the kernel
- most distributions build hid into the kernel

Wouldn't there be a way to enable the debug at run-time without
impacting too much on performance or binary size?

>  and look at this usage both in the report
> descriptor itself, and also check whether it is present in the received
> reports?

I'll look at it when I get an occasion to rebuild a kernel (which
thankfully isn't very often these days).

Cheers