How to use force feedback correctly?

Hello,

I've read the documentation about force feedback in
Documentation/input/ff.txt. But I'm rather unsure how to use it actually. So
far I understood this you have to use /dev/input/eventX to access your ff-
device. But normally only root has read and write access to this device files,
while a joystick is used normally using /dev/input/jsX which can be used by a
non-root user.

So my actual question is: How can I use force feedback of a joystick without
setting global read/write permissions to /dev/input/eventX? Or may I even be
able to use force feedback using /dev/input/jsX?

Other thing: Is it possible that on line 52 in Documentation/input/ff.txt the
declaration of the features array is wrong?
> #52 unsigned long features[1 + FF_MAX/sizeof(unsigned long)];
IMO it has to be declared like this:
> unsigned long features[1 + FF_MAX/ (8 * sizeof(unsigned long))];
Which creates actually a Bit array, not an Byte array.

Thanks in advance
Regards
Alexander