Re: support for Logitech Wave

On Wednesday 30 April 2008 11:41:08 Kevin Milburn wrote:

> Looks like I need to have some fun with getting xkbd and evdev in X working
> properly.....

OK,   I've had some success with this,   but it's left me with a few more
questions.

I can now use all the extra keys which result in a keycode of less than 255,
which appears to be a limitation within the Xorg evdev driver.

while experimenting,  I've tried using showkey and setkeycodes commands but
have encountered a few issues..

Firstly,  when showkey is set to keycode mode,  which sets the ioctl KDSKBMODE
to K_MEDIUMRAW,  it show all the expected keycodes.  setting it to show
scancodes, which sets the ioctl KDSKBMODE to K_RAW,  results in the scancodes
being show for all the expected keys  EXCEPT those with a keycode of 392 or
higher  (I don't know where the actual break is as this keyboard has no
keycodes between 236 and 392).

Is this a known issue where these scancodes don't appear,  or is it something
that needs looking into?

Secondly,  the primary reason for trying the above was to obtain the scancodes
so I could alter the keycodes to work with X.  Trying to alter one of the
working scancodes (e071) to a new keycode using the setkeycodes command
failed with an 'Invalid Argument'.

Further research lead me to a comment indicating that setkeycodes does not
work on USB keyboards.   If this is correct  (which it seems to be),  is
there any other way of altering the keycodes generated by the kernel?

TIA
Kevin