Re: rfkill-input understanding help

On Friday 11 January 2008 20:34:09 Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> On Jan 11, 2008 2:08 PM, Ivo van Doorn <ivdoorn@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Perhaps the rfkill-input needs to be registered before input
> > devices are being registered. But I am not sure, Dmitry propably
> > knows more about possible ordering requirements for input
> > device and input trigger registration.
>
> No, it is ok for rfkill-input handler to be installed later, but of
> course it will miss any events that happen before.

Unfortunately, moving the load order of rfkill-input doesn't solve my acer-wmi
problems:

1) If I build rfkill-input in, it does nothing (since the load order code is
obviously only for the module) - KEY_WLAN and KEY_BLUETOOTH are just ignored
by it.

2) If I build rfkill-input as a module, it won't work when autoloaded. If I
unload then reload it, it will:

i) If b43 is not loaded, it will just toggle both states. (the software only
toggle also changes to start toggling both states after reloading
rfkill-input).

ii) If b43 is loaded, after one or two KEY_WLAN or KEY_BLUETOOTH presses, I
end up in a vicious cycle of rfkill non-stop changing the states of both the
bluetooth and wireless rapidly, until I unload either b43 or acer-wmi and get
the same result as (i) (I can also stop this nasty loop by commenting out the
input_report_key lines in b43 - so this probably isn't a b43 specific issue,
it's just an example of a problem).

Of course, if I completely ignore rfkill-input, I can happily toggle my
wireless and bluetooth devices via their respective 'state' files to my
hearts content, and they work fine. But after loading rfkill-input (as
described above), even the 'state' file toggle causes the nasty
toggle-all-devices-and-loop-endlessly.

So I suppose the real question is: what exactly is going on with rfkill-input
on my laptop?

Is there anywhere in particular I can shove some printk's or some such to find
out if, and where, rfkill-input may be going wrong (I'm assuming the failing
to run properly on the first load is the real issue, and the rest of it is
just a side effect of something having gone wrong)?

-Carlos
--
E-Mail: carlos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Web: strangeworlds.co.uk