Re: rfkill-input understanding help

Hi,

Sorry for the late response..

> There are two buttons which control these, one for wireless, and one for
> bluetooth. However, the wireless and bluetooth buttons on the laptop are just
> keys - they generate KEY_WLAN and KEY_BLUETOOTH, but don't toggle the
> wireless and bluetooth themselves (this is down to acer-wmi).

Which makes rfkill a correct solution. :)

> Registered two rfkill devices - one for wireless, one for bluetooth.
>
> Problem:
>
> The sysfs interface works just fine - but nothing is being toggled when I
> press the wireless or bluetooth buttons (which are just generating KEY_WLAN
> and KEY_BLUETOOTH).

So using the sysfs interface you can enable and disable the radios?

> From my limited understanding, rfkill_input (which is enabled in my kernel)
> _should_ just be handling these keycodes (since userspace has not claimed
> these rfkill devices), and then calling the necessary toggle function - but
> AFAICT, this is not happening.
>
> Have I misunderstood this, am I missing something, or is this particular use
> case supposed to be handled by userspace instead (i.e. a userspace tool is
> supposed to handle the keypress, then toggle the rfkill device via sysfs)?

Without a code example I can't say much, but have you looked to the examples
in the drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/ and drivers/net/wireless/b43
Those are at least 2 drivers with a working rfkill implementation for WLAN,
that should give a good example on how the code should look like.

Ivo
-