Re: iscsi netboot failure in case of multiple interfaces

On 11/17/2017 11:11 AM, Martin Wilck wrote:
On Fri, 2017-11-17 at 10:34 -0800, Cathy Zhou wrote:
Martin,

Thanks. I will take a detail look of the diff you sent. But a brief
browse of it raised one question: assuming we solely use iscsid and
iscsiadm instead of iscsistart, wouldn't iscsid be started outside
of
iscsiroot.sh? Otherwise, the restart/stop/start of iscsid for one
interface could interfere with another iscsiroot instance for
another
interface?
Yes, certainly, the iscsid service should be started only once.

Please note that I'm not the author of the patch I linked, and that
this link I sent was also just a starting point:

https://github.com/danimo/dracut/commits/obs_from_git/modules.d/95iscsi

Note also that this branch is quite a bit behind upstream dracut in
other areas, so porting the iSCSI changes may not be trivial.
Is there a plan to upstream these patches soon? I thought multipath booting is meant to be supported by dracut but in reality it never works out thanks to iscsistart. Without getting the divergence into the upstream it effectively prohibits other folks from contributing bug fixes to the long standing issue as the nature of the two approaches (fix iscsid v.s. overhaul with iscsiadm) are in conflict? Is there a tradeoff in between - we fix the iscsistart issue first then once you're ready to upstream you overwrite what we had done?

Thanks,
-Siwei

Regards,
Martin