Re: iscsi netboot failure in case of multiple interfaces

Martin,

Thank you very much for your insights. See inline:

On 11/15/2017 5:12 AM, Martin Wilck wrote:
Hello Cathy,

On Mon, 2017-11-13 at 10:43 -0800, Cathy Zhou wrote:
Dracut experts,

A gentle reminder ...  Looking forward to gaining some insights on
below
questions.
I haven't analyzed your scenario in detail, but IMHO this is a long-
standing issue. dracut is using both iscsid and iscsistart, which is
wrong. iscsistart is meant for situations where iscsid is not
available. It starts iscsid at startup, and stops it again when done.
If proper iscsid is running, iscsiadm should be used rather than
iscsistart to activate sessions.
I agree. I was confused when I saw both iscsid and iscsistart were started in dracut. That is why my proposal (a) was to stop the iscsid service first before it starts iscsistart service. It fixed our problem though I am not sure if it has some unexpected effect on some other scenario.

In my experience, iscsistart will only work reliably if you have just a
single interface.
Could you please elaborate on this? What issue you saw? It seems to me as long as iscsistart works without iscsid is running, multiple instances should also be fine?

Thanks very much again
- Cathy

Martin