Re: swap device reference causes problem with initramfs for diskless clients

Frank Steiner wrote

> Frank Steiner wrote
>
>> dracut will include a lot of references to the swap device of the host
>> where we execute this command.
>
> By the way, doesn't this contradict the idea of the host-only mode?
>
>      Host-Only mode: Install only what is needed for booting the local host
>      instead of a generic host and generate host-specific configuration.
>
> Thus, including hard-coded, non-overridable UUID references to a local
> hard disk doesn't really create a config for a "generic" host as should
> be done without the host-only option? Having a rd.swap parameter really
> would help :-)

The SuSE support pointed me to the -no-hostonly option that solved my
problem. I really wasn't aware that there are three modes in dracut:
a host-only, a non-host-only and a something-in-between mode. Seems
strange to me. Why does it make sense to create a initrd by default,
that is more generic than a host-only one but not generic enough to run
on other hosts by missing e.g. modules like lvm or iscsi and by including
host-only references to the swap device?

At least the man page should be changed because the explanation
of the host-only mode indicates that without this option a generic
initrd is created which is not true.

cu,
Frank

--