Help needed on hardware change

I moved hard disks into a new machine. Previously when I have done this I just
booted off CD, ran mkinitrd in a chrooted file system to make a new initrd in /boot.

I did that, rebooted and straight after the grub prompt expires (ie the kernel
loaded) the monitor is put into some graphics mode (no characters/text is
visible, just horisontal streaks) and the system stops with caps lock & scroll
lock flashing.

I (as a temporary measure) installed another SATA disk and installed a small
system there (same distro version). It worked as expected.

I copied the /boot/initramfs... over into /boot on the original disks and if I
use that - it all works. I rebuild using dracut and it fails as described above.

I notice that the /boot/initramfs* files are very different sizes:

15M the one that works - new install to temp disk
23M the one that fails - rebuilt with dracut

What can I do to make this work ? This has been a few weeks on & off.

The old hardware was 32 bit intel something, the new is 64 bit AMD. There are
prob lots of other changes, but I don't think that the details matter too much -
I should be able to just rebuild the initrd.

The Operating system is CentOS 6.5. Kernel 2.6.32-358

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/