Re: Does dracut need start watchdog?

On 12/10/13 at 12:43pm, Harald Hoyer wrote:
> On 12/10/2013 09:21 AM, Baoquan He wrote:

> >> Basically the 04watchdog module was used only in the testsuite. You might
> >> consider to use the systemd watchdog feature instead.
> >>
> >> http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/watchdog.html
> >>
> >> or, if 0pointer is down again:
> >>
> >> http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:jYfJU_fFZy8J:0pointer.de/blog/projects/watchdog.html
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I tried your suggestion, systemd can't help.
> >
> > In /etc/systemd/system.conf, there are 2 options to control watchdog,
> > however it need watchdog hardware to be present. That means watchdog
> > driver need be loaded during startup.
> >
> > Baoquan
> > Thanks
>
> Why can't systemd help?
>
> dracut also uses the hardware watchdog. There is even a software watchdog device
> driver (softdog).

Hi Harald,

Before we encoutered a NMI watchdog problem, that hardware is iTCO_wdt
residing in lpc_ich mtd device. Then Don (dzickus@xxxxxxxxxx) found the
iTCO_wdt driver has code that tells it to turn off the watchdog until
userspace turns it on. So for kdump, the device will get turned off
(which is what we want).

Not all devices may behave this way, but iTCO_wdt should cover the
majority of the problems we are seeing.

Now when the watchdog ko is added into kernel, with the help of udevd,
module loading happens automatically, that's great. So the thing is
where to put the code that add watchdog ko into initramfs, 04watchdog
seems like the suitable place.

Baoquan
Thanks