Re: Does dracut need start watchdog?

On 08/05/2013 12:19 PM, Baoquan He wrote:
> Hi Harald,
>
> Since some drivers do the soft kicking. That is if BIOS has enabled
> watchdog, then kernel driver kicks the hardware till user space watchdog
> daemon comes along. This can help sove the problem in kdump which kdump
> kernel reboot before vmcore saving is finished. That problem is
> triggered because watchdog started in 1st kernel and timeout because of
> stopping being kicked.
>
> I noticed in 04watchdog the watchdog.sh will start watchdog if
> /dev/watchdog exists. I am just wondering if it's needed to start
> watchdog by accessing /dev/watchdog. If starting watchdog is not needed,
> I want to make some code change of watchdog.sh.
>
> What's your suggestion?
>
> Baoquan
> Thanks a lot

Basically the 04watchdog module was used only in the testsuite. You might
consider to use the systemd watchdog feature instead.

http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/watchdog.html

or, if 0pointer is down again:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:jYfJU_fFZy8J:0pointer.de/blog/projects/watchdog.html