Re: Testers wanted: dracut lazy install with cpio

On Tue, 2012-02-28 at 08:58 -0800, John Reiser wrote:
> On 02/28/2012 08:27 AM, David Dillow wrote:
>
> > Is the purpose of this work to speed things up for the user, or for the
> > developers? Your approach is correct for developers, since we're more
> > likely to be making multiple dracut image with a warm cache. But users
> > are more likely to hit the cold cache case.
>
> Both users and developers.  However, the cache must be controlled
> (or known) for any measurement, else there is no way to attribute
> the effects of any measured change: the cache effect could be much
> larger than any improvement (or degredation).  The easiest way
> is to have a warm cache: discard the first run of a series because
> of the unknown cache state.

Your commentary on the effects of caching and non-idle machines is true
and a useful reminder, but I think you talked past my point -- Harald
seemed to be wondering if the speedup was worth the complexity, and that
can only be answered by benchmarking it in the appropriate environment.
A fully warmed up cache is easiest and probably correct for developers,
but does not cover the case for users -- though if the speed up is good
there, then it is likely better for the users' case.

Your point about a mixed cache from an updated kernel is well taken;
perhaps a good way to replicate the user's experience would be to put
something like the following in a script -- so you don't have to
remember the path and get it right in a sudo:

for i in {1..10}; do
	sudo sh -c "echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches"
	find /lib/modules/$(uname -r) -type f -print0 | xargs -0 cat > /dev/null
	time ...dracut...
done

and best if you do your testing from single user mode (may not even need
the sudo, then). It won't be perfect, but I think it would be more
meaningful than the easy case.

I tend to agree that the ~2 second improvements reported so far are not
compelling, but I see those as the developers case. I'm more interested
in the users' case -- is that 14 seconds Cong reported real?