Re: Debian/Ubuntu patches

2010/11/10 maximilian attems <max@xxxxxxx>:

> yes, but didn't understand your reply and short of time..
> this seems like a chicken and egg trouble, please rephrase more coherently.

I'm sorry, I need to improve my English. :-)

I meant that if we ship Dracut with the kernel postinst script
(/etc/kernel/postinst), then the next time a linux image is installed,
that script will be fired and a Dracut based initramfs will be created
for that new kernel.

But when we install Dracut for the first time, there is not any Dracut
based initramfs installed on the system, and Dracut package's postinst
calls actually only call "dracut-update-initramfs -u" which only
updates the initramfs images present in the system (in this case no
one). So after installing Dracut you won't get a Dracut based image
for the kernel you are using, which is not very consistent with the
behaviour of creating the initramfs for any new kernel installed
afterwards.

I understand that is the linux kernel package's mission to call the
kernel postinst scripts under /etc/kernel/postinst, but... I think we
should do something. Maybe make the current linux kernel package call
the /etc/kernel/postinst scripts, or maybe call
dracut-update-initramfs, which was what I was doing in my original
patch... ¿What could be the best solution?

Thanks,

Jon Ander.