Re: Debian/Ubuntu patches

Hi Jon,

On 11/08/2010 07:50 PM, Jon Ander Hernandez wrote:
Hello,

I post the patches as I promised :-)

I repeat Maximilian's comment: Please post patches inline.

- When a new kernel is installed or uninstalled dracut based initramfs
is not automatically created/deleted. Ubuntu's kernel package's post
script executes update-initramfs directly, and the update-initramfs
trigger is never fired.
Another solution is to install a postinst and a postrm script under
/etc/kernel/{postrm.d,prerm.d}.

http://kestrelhpc.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/kestrelhpc/Kestrelhpc/Src/dracut/debian_kernel_prerm_postinst.diff

- Postinst script can be executed when installing first time dracut,
or when we are upgrading Dracut. Check if it should create a new
initramfs or if it should upgrade it.

http://kestrelhpc.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/kestrelhpc/Kestrelhpc/Src/dracut/debian_postinst.diff

- Add xsltproc and docbook-xsl as dependencies to the source package,
since they are required for building the man files.

http://kestrelhpc.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/kestrelhpc/Kestrelhpc/Src/dracut/debian_control.diff

- Create the man files when building the package.

http://kestrelhpc.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/kestrelhpc/Kestrelhpc/Src/dracut/debian_rules.diff

Personal comment on the debian/* stuff: It's horribly outdated. Due do workload and private reasons I haven't been able to work on them for months.

As for these patches, they look sensible. But question: have you tried them on debian testing/unstable?

- rpc.idmapd requires rpc_pipefs to be mounted. On Fedora when the
sunrpc module is loaded, modprobe mounts the rpc_pipefs, while this is
not the case on Debian/Ubuntu.

http://kestrelhpc.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/kestrelhpc/Kestrelhpc/Src/dracut/nfsroot_mount_rpc_pipefs.diff

Good one! Please post inline patch.

I imagine that these should be version specific patches :

- Ubuntu Maverick ships dhclient 3, which doesn't support the "-4" flag.

http://kestrelhpc.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/kestrelhpc/Kestrelhpc/Src/dracut/debian_fix_dhclient_3.diff
This is a debian/ubuntu specific fix and should not go in just like that. We need a version check to decide if -[46] can be passed or not, since newer version of dhclient should be supplied with it.

- Ubuntu's Maverick arping seems to be broken (a least for me).

http://kestrelhpc.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/kestrelhpc/Kestrelhpc/Src/dracut/debian_fix_remove_arping.diff

We need iputils-arping and not the standard arping. Mind checking if you are using the correct package?

Thanks && Regards,
Philippe