Re: New rd.* namespace for dracut-008

On 10/28/2010 05:46 PM, maximilian attems wrote:
On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 05:17:40PM +0200, Harald Hoyer wrote:
I cleaned up the kernel command line parameters and moved them to the
rd.* namespace. The deprecated options are supported until dracut-010 and
will be removed afterwards.

hmm as initramfs-tools hasn't cleaned up it's namespace yet,
this is a good point to jump in ask more details:

* what does rd stand for?

"rd" was chosen because we already have "rdinit=" as a kernel parameter

* is it envisaged to be used by other tools
   (or should initramfs-tools use it.break)?

Hm, if we can define common kernel command line parameters, that would make the user's life easier.

I'd appreciated more info on the background of this move as
it can't be painless.

thanks.