Re: [RFC ONLY 3/5] netroot: remove netif from handler invocation

On Mon, 2009-07-06 at 17:02 +0200, Seewer Philippe wrote:
> David Dillow wrote:
> > On Mon, 2009-07-06 at 15:56 +0200, Seewer Philippe wrote:
> >> Discussion: Instead of implementing the dhcp options server failover
> >> just for nfs, why not extend this to all protocols?
> >
> > This does implement it for all protocols, if they choose to use it.
>
> Yes, that is correct. I meant it more like, why should only nfs choose
> to use it? We could insert the server into the root argument for each
> handler inside netroot instead of just "delegating" it.

Sorry, I misunderstood.

I like the concept of other protocols using server_id as a fall back
when no server IP is given in their arguments (ie nbd::9000 would use
port 9000 on the DHCP server) as it makes it easier to share configs
among DHCP servers.

I suspect others will find it confusing, though.

> > $1 used to be $netif, so we'd get /tmp/iscsiroot.eth0.1234.out. Now we'd
> > get /tmp/iscsiroot.root=iscsi:..:blah.1234.out instead. Hence the
> > removal of $1.
>
> Oh, didn't realize that. Thanks for claryfing.

If this series looks to be worth it, I'll try to do better on the commit
message regarding this point.