Re: Redundant nfsroot cmdline options

Warren Togami wrote:
On 06/17/2009 03:26 PM, Warren Togami wrote:
# "/tftpboot/%s" will be used.

This part about /tftpboot/ and the accompanying implementation in
95nfs/nfsroot seems baffling.

* In what cases does hostname lookup actually work here?
* Where does this precedent come from? This seems to be a really narrow
implementation from some specific past software with hard-coded
assumptions.
* For example /tftpboot isn't used by default configurations of tftp
servers on modern Debian, Ubuntu or Fedora anymore. They've moved to
FHS-compliant /var/lib/tftpboot. But then again nothing demands that the
sysadmin sticks with any particular path for the tftp server.
* What does tftpboot have to do with initrd? The initrd doesn't have
anything to do with tftp at this stage.

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=blob;f=Documentation/filesystems/nfsroot.txt

OK, I see in the Legacy documentation...

/tftpboot is only a default set if no path is provided. You can apparently have any path with an optional %s which is replaced by the kernel. In our case however we need to replace the %s ourselves.

62   <root-dir>    Name of the directory on the server to mount as root.
63                 If there is a "%s" token in the string, it will be
64                 replaced by the ASCII-representation of the client's
65                 IP address.

The documentation only mentions "ASCII-representation of the client's IP address", not hostname that 95nfs/nfsroot seems to indicate.

Where did the idea that %s is hostname come from?

The commit that introduced it is here:

http://dracut.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=dracut;a=commitdiff;h=abe9ccc89a96bc61bc2e9d3169341821393da6da

Regards,
Philippe