Re: Redundant nfsroot cmdline options

#!/bin/sh
#
# Preferred format:
#       root=nfs[4]:[server:]path[:options]
#       [root=*] netroot=nfs[4]:[server:]path[:options]

Harald and I agree that there is no reason for this second variation to exist in the case of NFS. It seems the separate root= and netroot= only makes sense for remote block device protocols like iscsi or nbd.

#
# Legacy formats:
#
#       root=/dev/nfs nfsroot=[server:]path[,options]
#
#       XXX: All of the following have no reason to exist.
#       [net]root=[[/dev/]nfs[4]] nfsroot=[server:]path[,options]
#       [net]root=[[/dev/]nfs[4]] nfsroot=[server:]path[:options]
#

I'm removing the three variations of the Legacy nfsroot.txt as discussed.

# If the 'nfsroot' parameter is not given on the command line or is empty,
# the dhcp root-path is used as [server:]path[:options] or the default

This comment doesn't seem to be true.

# "/tftpboot/%s" will be used.

This part about /tftpboot/ and the accompanying implementation in 95nfs/nfsroot seems baffling.

* In what cases does hostname lookup actually work here?
* Where does this precedent come from? This seems to be a really narrow implementation from some specific past software with hard-coded assumptions. * For example /tftpboot isn't used by default configurations of tftp servers on modern Debian, Ubuntu or Fedora anymore. They've moved to FHS-compliant /var/lib/tftpboot. But then again nothing demands that the sysadmin sticks with any particular path for the tftp server. * What does tftpboot have to do with initrd? The initrd doesn't have anything to do with tftp at this stage.

#
# If server is unspecified it will be pulled from one of the following
# sources, in order:
#       static ip= option on kernel command line

Huh?  How would you do that?

#       DHCP next-server option
#       DHCP server-id option
#       DHCP root-path option

Do we really want this order?  It seems we want this order:

* root=
* DHCP root-path
* Everything else

#
# NFSv4 is only used if explicitly requested; default is NFSv2 or NFSv3
# depending on kernel configuration
#
# root= takes precedence over netroot= if root=nfs[...]
#

This precedence order shouldn't be necessary as netroot= shouldn't be necessary for NFS.

For now removing only the nfsroot.txt Legacy variations as the netroot= variations are too ingrained in the code.

Warren Togami
wtogami@xxxxxxxxxx