Re: /etc/passwd thoughts

On Fri, 2009-06-12 at 23:21 +0200, Seewer Philippe wrote:
> Actually 95nfs doesn't create its own entry. The part is commented out.

Right; I'm torn on this. We want to support both portmap and rpcbind,
and at least rpcbind needs a user to run as -- it won't run without it.
I don't know what portmap wants.

I have it copying the passwd file as that seemed to be the most
distro-agnostic way I could do it.

I see a few options --
1) Copy /etc/passwd from the distro into the initrd; exposes user names,
but passwords should be in /etc/shadow and hence not copied.
2) Make our own users for rpcbind (and portmap if different) and just
use that. rpcbind gets killed before we transition to root, so the uid
doesn't have to match up.
3) Remove the need for rpcbind/portmap. Get mount fixed so it doesn't
try to look for rpc.statd for NFSv4; also figure out a way to keep the
kernel from trying to talk to rpcbind/portmap when mounting an NFSv4
volume.
3b) don't support locks at all on NFS roots, NFSv4 or otherwise. I don't
like this, it artificially restricts options.

> But I agree we should do something about the passwd case.
>
> Question: Who really needs passwd entries?

rpcbind, as above. I don't know about iSCSI, is there a user-space
component that persists and wants to drop permissions?