Re: /etc/passwd thoughts

Warren Togami wrote:
On 06/12/2009 04:20 PM, Bill Nottingham wrote:
Warren Togami (wtogami@xxxxxxxxxx) said:
[warren@newcaprica dracut]$ grep -r \/etc\/passwd *
modules.d/95nfs/install:dracut_install /etc/netconfig /etc/passwd
/etc/services
modules.d/95nfs/install:#echo
"rpc:x:32:32:Rpcbind:/var/lib/rpcbind:/bin/false">>
"$initdir/etc/passwd"
modules.d/90mdraid/install:inst /etc/passwd

It seems that we want an /etc/passwd for certain things in the initrd
image, but is it really necessary for it to copy whatever users are on
the generating system into the image?

If daemons we want/need to start want to drop privleges... yes.

But it is also pulling in user accounts.

It seems the above modules.d/95nfs/install creates its own /etc/passwd entry that it expects to be there. Why can't we do this for all cases where something in the initrd needs an /etc/passwd entry?

Actually 95nfs doesn't create its own entry. The part is commented out. But I agree we should do something about the passwd case.

Question: Who really needs passwd entries?