Re: dracut broken on Fedora 10 (udevd)

On Mon, 2009-06-01 at 01:17 -0400, David Dillow wrote:
> Victor, commit 5033486389038516acc04403e9e2c3ba9653a98e broke dracut on
> F10, as the udev there does not understand the --resolve-names option.

Sorry about that, fixed. Testing with F11 ATM, so it slipped by.

> Perhaps we can find a way to let dracut populate /etc/passwd
> and /etc/group with some default user/group names to satisfy older
> udevs? I realize this is a workaround for older utilities, so I don't
> expect anyone to go for it, but I'll ask anyways.

It shouldn't really be a problem -- I wouldn't exactly call Fedora 10
legacy unsupported code yet. :)

If you need to pull in /etc/group and /etc/passwd, make sure you also
pull in whatever version of libnss_files you need -- glibc loads them on
the fly, so the usual library depsolving magic does not work.

> I need an 'rpc' user for rpcbind anyways, so we could just put dummies
> in for that, since I don't care who really owns that data -- it'll be
> thrown away anyways.

It might be useful to make grabbing subsets of /etc/group,/etc/passwd,
and libnss into a function for dracut modules to call.  How to do that
in a sufficiently elegant fashion is a bit beyond me ATM.

--
Victor Lowther
RHCE# 805008539634727