net/bridge/netfilter/
net/netfilter/
net/phonet
net/dccp/
net/ipv6/netfilter/
net/bluetooth/
net/atm/
net/802/

It seems these (and possibly more) kernel modules are being copied into the initrd but are never needed during initrd. Any ideas of a better and more specific way of specifying only network interface drivers?

rm -rf ${initdir}/lib/modules/$kernel/kernel/net/wireless
rm -rf ${initdir}/lib/modules/$kernel/kernel/drivers/net/wireless

In related news, Harald suggested adding this as an ugly hack to get rid of wireless drivers. This immediately after instmods =net didn't work for some reason I haven't yet figured out. It is successfully deleting the modules, but something else is copying them back later. I am hoping the $drivers cleanups I just pushed help this situation.

So the other bug involving instmods() firmware handling being broken is the reason for wireless .ko modules to be loaded during initrd but failing due to missing firmware. We already agreed on this list earlier to exclude wireless in the standard initrd though, so this doesn't matter yet. I guess some SCSI or FC controllers might be more effected by the missing firmware.

Warren Togami
wtogami@xxxxxxxxxx