Re: How do we want to handle configuring network boot devices?

On 05/27/2009 05:54 PM, Warren Togami wrote:
root=/dev/nbd[0-9]* nbdroot=server.ip.add.ress,port[,nbd basedevice]

This is from Andreas' suggested patch for nbd root, where this is the
third supported method of booting nbd. I think we should DROP this. The
reason for this is it used to be necessary to define a specific nbd
device number because old versions of nbd-client did not have a method
to detect if a nbd device is already connected and in-use. Modern
versions do not have this problem. Code using it simply iterates looking
for the first unused nbd device.

The ability to specify a nbd mount point with cmdline should be using
the new syntax. We should drop this old syntax because it is redundant,
and more error prone.

While I don't care so much if the other legacy methods go into dracut, I might suggest strongly against including this one. In addition to the other reasons:

* It was never used with DHCP root-path in the past.
* It relied on other hard-coded things that you don't see to specify the filesystem type and aufs/unionfs layering on top. Note that it doesn't include filesystem type and mount options.

Warren Togami
wtogami@xxxxxxxxxx