Re: Thoughts on mounting the rootfs from a udev rule

On Fri, 2009-03-20 at 10:24 +0100, Seewer Philippe wrote:
> Victor Lowther wrote:
> [snip]
> >> Hmm. There is no strict _need_ for a backing device for udev to work
> >> properly, we just need an event here.
> >> So for the nfsroot case it would be totally sufficient to have an event
> >> like 'network is up'. This could then trigger a nfsmount
> >
> > In simple cases, maybe.  In the sort of cases Seewer has to deal with,
> > it gets a great deal more complicated.
>
> Yes and no. The current implementation is sort of event-based. "Network
> is up, please test" means theres something in the fifo and we can go and
> try. The same could be done via udev, if we could tell it do so
> something. Only problem I see would be synchronizing asynchronous events.

As far as I know, you cannot inject an event into udev from userspace.
It responds to messages from the kernel and that is it.

> > Driving network configuration from udev is easy and usually the right
> > thing to do, but doesn't really help when you don't know beforehand
> > which interface will actually be able to talk to the nfs server.
>
> Or even worse, if you receive mount-data through dhcp options. But even
> that could be handled somehow if we had to.

Actually, that part should not be that hard -- just separate the "saving
info from dhclient" and "configuring the interface" phases.

> >> Ah, that's ok. In these cases you'll have a 'resume=' argument in
> >> the kernel commandline, so you just need to write a rule using an
> >> event serializer/capture like 'collect':
> >> - Use three arguments to collect, root device, resume device, and
> >>   another one signifying 'resume_done'.
> >> - Add another rule which triggers resume on the resume device, sets
> >>   'resume_done' if resume returns, and triggers the collect rule again.
> >> - Then collect will return 1 and start the mount process.
> >
> > How does that handle the case where we asked to resume but the resume
> > device is not found?
>
> Question: If we know which device to resume from, why not have a
> pre-udev rule specifying _if_ that device shows up try to thaw?

If it shows up after we have already started mounting the root
filesystem we are hosed.

If it never shows up at all, things get interesting depending on exactly
how we want to handle that case.

--
Victor Lowther
RHCE# 805008539634727