Re: Thoughts on mounting the rootfs from a udev rule

Victor Lowther wrote:
It seems that there are two major use cases that make mounting the root
file system directly from a udev rule an inadvisable design decision:

The first is when your root filesystem does not reside on a block
device, as in the nfsroot case.  In this case, there is no backing
device for the filesystem for udev to detect, so we would still need a
non-udev method of mounting the root filesystem in order to handle any
case where there is no backing device for the root filesystem.

The second is when we are asked to resume from hibernate.  In this case,
we must not attempt to mount the root filesystem (or any other
filesystem, for that matter) until we have either attempted to resume
(and failed) or we have determined that resuming is impossible.  Udev
does not make any guarantees about the order in which devices are
discovered, which leads to all sorts of interesting potential failure
modes when you have either or both of resume handling and rootfs
handling in a udev rule.

Thoughts?

You are right.