Re: Dracut and other distributions - an experiment

Thiago Galesi (thiagogalesi@xxxxxxxxx) said:
> - Some distros use switch_root, others pivot_root (and this has to be
> copied from somewhere when generating, unless dracut comes with its
> own set of tools)
>
> I guess the best solution would be to import a switch_root.c to dracut
> and bundle that (like it was suggested somewhere else)

The plan is for this to be part of util-linux in the future.

> - Tools that are copied from the fs, like $exe, $debugexe, the problem
> there is libraries... Ok, some distros offer
> /usr/lib/klibc/bin/sh.shared, a bash that doesn't depend on any
> libraries, but running bash per se (and other things like ls) in the
> emergency console was not possible for the time being

The intent is that dependent libraries are copied - there's already
code to do this. Apparently it's not working in your case?

(Fixing this would fix most of your later concerns.)

> - udev rules are located in /etc/udev/rules.d/
>
> Maybe detect its location and copy everything / copy files from
> dracut.conf ?? (more of that later)

System udev rules go in /lib/udev/rules.d as of udev-125.

> - The tiny shell I used (sh.shared) barfed on  "label=${l//\//\\x2f}"
> where it checks LABEL= for root

Yes, that's a bash-ism.

Bill