Re: Driver for AMS AS7341

On Tue, 9 Jul 2024 14:38:29 -0300
Gustavo Silva <gustavograzs@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am currently developing a driver for the AMS AS7341 spectral color
> sensor [1], which provides readings for 8 color channels.
>
> In reviewing the IIO channel specifications, I've noticed modifiers are
> specified for red, green, and blue light intensities only.
Hi Gustavo,

We've always known the current colour approach would prove inadequate at some point.
The previous discussions (might find them in the archive) included
trying to actually describe the sensitivity in terms of wavelength.
Perhaps that is revisiting?

in_intensityX_raw
in_intensityX_wavelength_centre
or similar?

I see the datasheet conveniently provides a centre value for each sensor.
Maybe it's worth considering how representative the full width half maximum value is
of the data that we get for light sensors.  Perhaps that ABI also makes
sense?  IIRC we do have a sensors with strong dual peaks though which
makes this sort of description tricky.

Jonathan