Trouble updating the current_trigger

Hi all, hopefully this is the right place to post this.
I'm having some trouble with configuring a sysfs trigger for the
mpu6050. I am running this on a raspberrypi 3b on yocto kirkstone. The
problem is whenever I try to write to the current_trigger file, I get
this error: "sh: write error: Invalid argument". Here are the steps I
take:

cd /sys/bus/iio/devices/iio_sysfs_trigger
echo 0 > add_trigger
cd /sys/bus/iio/devices/trigger1 #trigger0 exists by default, so it
creates trigger1
cat name #gives sysfstrig0, as expected
cd /sys/bus/iio/devices/iio:device0
echo sysfstrig0 > trigger/current_trigger #results in "sh: write
error: Invalid argument"

A couple of observations. Writing the default trigger, "mpu6050-dev0"
to the file works. Anything else besides "mpu6050-dev0" and
"sysfstrig0" doesn't result in any error, but the contents of the file
is blank. Since, writing "sysfstrig0" to it results in an error, it
must mean that it is registered to the iio subsystem, but that
something else is perhaps configured wrongly?

This is my first time using IIO, so happy to get any pointers on how
to debug this.
Thank you in advance.

- isch