ROHM BM1390 support

Hi dee Ho peeps,

Once again I am trying to learn from more experienced sensor folks :)

I am currently working (also) on ROHM BM1390 pressure sensor. The sensor can measure pressure ranging 300 - 1300 hPa. Measurement times can be around 20 - 160 mS depending on the amount of samples being averaged. There is also an IIR filter included in sensor with 3 different settings titled as "weak", "middle" and "strong". Unfortunately the exact maths is not explained. Furthermore, the sensor can be configured to store maximum of 4 measured pressure samples in a HW FIFO.

The sensor can also measure temperature and error for temperature measurement is told to be +/- 2C when temperature is in a range of 25 C - 85 C. On the other hand, operating temperature for the device is said to be -40 C - 85 C.

Now, the temperature measurements are not stored in a FIFO.

Here comes my question - what do you see as the typical use-cases for such a sensor? Or, to be more exact, do you think "quick" changes in temperature are expected to be measured with this type of sensor? I am asking this because I would like to support using the hardware FIFO and I am wondering if reading the temperature at FIFO flush and populating also the temperature channel values corresponding to all (up to 4) pressure measurements would be the best approach?

Other options is to not support using FIFO when temperature is scanned.

I have a gut feeling that the users who measure pressure are often also interested in getting the temperatures. Hence I would like to allow getting both. "Cheating" by using the same temperature value (measured when FIFO is flushed) should be Ok if temperature is not changing rapidly as even with the slowest measurement speed collecting 4 samples should finish in well under a second - and mentioned accuracy for the temperature sensor is such that small temperature changes are probably going unnoticed anyways.

Here I would love to have an opinion from more experienced IIO developers/users - and potentially a hint how similar sensors have been handled previously. (I would assume not storing some slowly changing values in a HW FIFO is quite common because HW FIFOs won't come without a cost).

Yours,
 -- Matti

Oh, in case someone wants to see the data sheet:
https://fscdn.rohm.com/en/products/databook/datasheet/ic/sensor/pressure/bm1390glv-z-e.pdf

--
Matti Vaittinen
Linux kernel developer at ROHM Semiconductors

~~ When things go utterly wrong vim users can always type :help! ~~