Re: Bugs in dps310 Linux driver

On Sat, 18 Mar 2023 17:09:17 +0000
 Jonathan Cameron <jic23@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 13 Mar 2023 17:36:00 +0100
Andres Heinloo <andres@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 3/12/23 16:43, Jonathan Cameron wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Mar 2023 22:15:15 +0100
> "Andres Heinloo" <andres@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> On Sun, 05 Mar 2023 03:05:01 +0100 >> "Andres Heinloo" <andres@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: >>> On Sat, 4 Mar 2023 17:06:20 +0000 >>> Jonathan Cameron <jic23@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote: >>>> On Fri, 03 Mar 2023 12:10:00 +0100

>>> Yes, DPS310_PRS_SHIFT_EN, DPS310_FIFO_EN, DPS310_SPI_EN are all
>>> wrong, but the latter 2 are not used by the driver.

>>> Yes, but that's just different naming. MSB is called B2 in the
>>> datasheet and B0 in the driver.

>>> I don't have a good solution either, but there must be other IIO
>>> sensors that have something similar that could be possibly reused.

>> Unfortunately it seems that there may be more problems with the
>> driver. I've noticed that my device has lost sample rate and precision >> settings few times. When looking at the code, it seems the settings
>> are not restored when dps310_reset_reinit() is called at
>> https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/8ca09d5fa3549d142c2080a72a4c70ce389163cd/drivers/iio/pressure/dps310.c#L438 >> > > Agreed. Looks like that stuff is missing. This reset path is pretty horrible > in general, so I'm not surprised a few things got missed. Should be easy enough > to add a cache of those and and set them again if you want to try that. One option would be adding sample_rate and oversampling_ratio to dps310_data struct, but some questions remain.

That's what I'd do here.

I think doing a silent reset is not good, because it can cause bad samples. When looking at data, you don't know if there was an actual pressure spike or if it was caused by a reset. I think a better solution would be immediately returning an error (-EIO?) to inform user space about an intermittent failure.

Userspace may well not retry because for vast majority of devices a failure like this indicates something went very wrong (or bad hardware). So it might well just log the error somewhere and quit. Here we have a device that as I understand it has a reasonably frequent lock up condition so we kind of need to paper over that in the kernel to present what userspace expects.

I don't have experience with many IIO devices, but for example dht11 has very frequent errors due to unreliable bitbanging protocol and if taking a reading fails, it returns I/O error to userspace and the userspace just retries.

A rate limited print to the kernel log might be a good idea though so
at least there is some record of it happening.

(I suspect that in case of some errors, the IIO subsystem retries internally and hides the error.)

I can't immediately think of a path were the subsystem does retries.
Tend to just pass them up to userspace.

I'm not 100% sure, but when I debugged dps310, I noticed that when -ERANGE is returned at https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/a3671bd86a9770e34969522d29bb30a1b66fd88a/drivers/iio/pressure/dps310.c#L688, dps310_calculate_pressure() seems to be executed 2 times internally before -ERANGE is returned to userspace.

The purpose of timeout_recovery_failed seems questionable, because if you end up with timeout_recovery_failed == true, the only way to recover from timeout is reloading the kernel module.

In theory if that happens we've concluded the device is dead. So expected fix is reset the board. The fact it recovers after some other sequence
means the work around isn't working.

I'm afraid I'm not able to provide a patch to fix the problems soon.

Understood, we may have to wait on someone with hardware who has the time.
The wrong bit definitions are easier so maybe we can fix those up.

>> Apparently I've also ended up with data->timeout_recovery_failed ==
>> true at
>> https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/8ca09d5fa3549d142c2080a72a4c70ce389163cd/drivers/iio/pressure/dps310.c#L443, >> but the device worked fine after just reloading the kernel module. >> This is difficult to reproduce, though. > > Hmm. There are a few things that could cause that. Maybe something running slow, or > an intermittent write failure (noisy environment or bad wire / track maybe?) (Off-topic) Write failures is a different problem that is very annoying. I'm not sure if this could be the case with dps310, but I have an ADXL355 device that is connected via SPI and often register writes fail silently. I have a short cable that is well connected and SPI should be running at max 1Mhz according to .../of_node/spi-max-frequency. I ended up wrapping regmap functions to check register value after each write. I haven't noticed errors when reading registers. (I'm using Raspberry Pi.)

Some of these sensors are very sensitive. I have one or two that basically don't work over cables (including one that only works if I attach an oscilloscope
with a long test lead...)

You could perhaps propose an addition to regmap to verify a write so that
at least we know it failed.

Actually my wrapper does not only verify, but also retries up to 10 times, because those write failures are really frequent (haven't counted exactly, but I think up to 10% of the writes).

Andres