Re: ROHM ALS, integration time

On Mon, 27 Feb 2023 11:54:59 +0200
Matti Vaittinen <mazziesaccount@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 2/27/23 09:22, Matti Vaittinen wrote:
> > On 2/26/23 19:30, Jonathan Cameron wrote:

> >> Hmm. There is another approach that I'd not thought of in this case
> >> because
> >> in my head integration time is more continuous than it is for this
> >> part and
> >> that is to fiddle the _raw values (we do this for oversampling or SAR
> >> ADCs
> >> where things tend to be powers of 2).  The trick is to shift the raw
> >> value
> >> always so that the 'scale' due to (in this case) integration time remains
> >> constant.  That separates the two controls completely.
> >
> > Holy cow! That's a neat trick which I didn't think of!
> >
> > Basically, we could do >> 1 for the data when time is 100 mS, >> 2 when
> > 200 mS and >> 3 when 400 mS. We would want to use 19-bit channel values
> > then.
>
> Please ignore my previous mail. It seems I am once again not knowing
> what I am talking about. If we take this approach, we shift << 3 when
> int time is 55, << 2 for 100 and << 1 for 200. With 400 mS we would not
> shift.

Spot on.

> >> However, I'm not sure that makes sense here where the thing we typically
> >> want to change when scaling due to saturation is integration time.
> >
> > That's a bit problematic, yes. We could "fool" the user by doing the
> > saturation check in driver, and then just returning the max value of all
> > 19-bits set if the saturation is detected. This, however, would yield
> > raw values that are slightly off. OTOH, with max sift of 3 bits that's
> > only 7 'raw ticks' - which I hope is acceptable. I hope the user will
> > then be switching to shorter integration time and start getting correct
> > readings.
> >
> > It's slightly sad to say "good bye" to the gain-time-scale helpers but I
> > guess you just helped me to solve this with a _really_ simple way. We
> > can keep those helpers in "back pocket" for the day when we need them ;)
> >
> > I will see what comes out of this idea - thanks for the help again!
> >

> But as you surely knew from the start, the saturation problems kick in
> with the 'non maximum sifts' when the _highest_ bits never get set.

Yes, thats what we'd expect to see as we can only measure high light levels
if the integration time is short.

> There the 'saturation detection' would cause a huge jump by suddenly
> setting the high bits. So, yes - this does not seem like a feasible
> option here :/

Yes, there is no consistent value for saturation if you are changing
the integration time as the real light levels that cause saturation are
dependent on the integration time.

> /me feels stupid...
>
> Sorry for the noise!
No problem.  It's interesting to understand where the limitations on
some of these techniques lie and I hadn't thought about the issue
of saturation as previous times we've done this have typically been
on ADCs doing oversampling or similar where we don't get the same problem.

Jonathan