Re: Questions: iio: accel: kionix-kx022a: timestamp when using the data-rdy trigger?

Hi Mehdi,

On 2/16/23 22:22, Mehdi Djait wrote:
Hi all,

DISCLAIMER: I'm new to kernel development.

I'm currently working on extending the kionix-kx022a driver to support
kionix-kx132.

Thanks for working with this :) Support for the kx132, kx122 etc. is very welcome!

My question is about the timestamp pushed in the trigger
handler. The kionix-kx022a supports both FIFO and triggered buffer
mode, for my questions the triggered buffer mode is used.

Before asking the question: I tried to read every documentation
available, the kernel code and I found the Threads [1] [2] [3]

To better explain my question here are the two relevant setup functions:
A.  devm_iio_triggered_buffer_setup_ext(dev, idev,
                                         &iio_pollfunc_store_time,
                                         kx022a_trigger_handler,
                                         IIO_BUFFER_DIRECTION_IN,
                                         &kx022a_buffer_ops,
                                         kx022a_fifo_attributes)

B. devm_request_threaded_irq(data->dev, irq, kx022a_irq_handler,
                              &kx022a_irq_thread_handler,
                              IRQF_ONESHOT, name, idev);

And here are the relevant steps after an IRQ occurs :
1. IRQ context --> kx022a_irq_handler() --> gets the current timestamp
with "data->timestamp = iio_get_time_ns(idev);" and returns
IRQ_WAKE_THREAD

2. kx022a_irq_thread_handler() -> checks that the trigger is enabled
--> iio_trigger_poll_chained() --> handle_nested_irq(): which will only
call the bottom half of the pollfuncs

I don't get the kx022a at my hands until next week to test this, but it seems to me your reasoning is right. iio_pollfunc_store_time() is probably not called. I just wonder why I didn't see zero timestamps when testing this. (OTOH, I had somewhat peculiar IRQ handling at first - maybe I broke this along the way).

3. kx022a_trigger_handler() --> iio_push_to_buffers_with_timestamp(idev,
data->buffer, pf->timestamp)

My questions are:
Question 1: Is iio_push_to_buffers_with_timestamp(idev, data->buffer,
data->timestamp) instead of "pf->timestamp" better in the
trigger_handler ?

I don't see any "technical reasons" why it would be better. I think it is more standard looking though - but seems like it is plain wrong here as you pointed out.

I was first concerned that it would be racy with the
irq_handler, but the IRQF_ONESHOT flag is used, which means that the irq
line is disabled until the threaded handler has been run, i.e. until
kx022a_trigger_handler runs and retruns IRQ_HANDLED (right?).

Yes. This is the purpose of IRQF_ONESHOT. (Well, AFAICS the IRQs are re-enabled even if some other value is returned unless the IRQ_NONE is returned repeatedly).

Question 2: If the change proposed in question 1 is wrong, would this
one be better iio_push_to_buffers_with_timestamp(idev, data->buffer,
iio_get_time_ns(idev)). There is some delay between the IRQ occuring
and trigger_handler being called but that is better than getting all 0
timestamps like suggested in [2]

Please, use the data->timestamp as you suggested.

I hope that I'm understating this correctly or at least not totally
off :) If yes, I will send a patch.

Thanks Mehdi! I think this was a great catch! Maybe - while at it - you could also send a patch adding a small kerneldoc to the iio_trigger_poll_chained() mentioning this particular issue. Yes, I guess it should be obvious just by reading the function name *_chained() - but I did fall on this trap (and according to your reference [2] so has someone else).

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/linux-iio/4FDB33CD.2090805@xxxxxxxxxx/
[2] https://lore.kernel.org/linux-iio/20201205182659.7cd23d5b@archlinux/
[3] https://lore.kernel.org/linux-iio/20220126191606.00003f37@xxxxxxxxxx/

Yours,
	-- Matti

--
Matti Vaittinen
Linux kernel developer at ROHM Semiconductors

~~ When things go utterly wrong vim users can always type :help! ~~