Re: ti-ads7950: selecting the adc input range

On 7/8/22 10:02, Uwe Kleine-König wrote:
Hello,

the ADS7950 has a register bit (called TI_ADS7950_CR_RANGE_5V in the
driver) that selects the input range. Depending on that bit the input
range is either [0 .. V_{REF}] or [0 .. 2 * V_{REF}].

The driver currently defaults to setting that bit, so the range is the
big one.

On a machine here however I know the input is in the smaller range and
I'd like to benefit from the higher resolution of the small range. I
wonder how to make this tunable. Should that be done using a firmware
property? ("single-input-range" vs. "double-input-range"? Or input-range
= <1> vs. input-range = <2> which better matches the data sheet that
calls the two modes "Range 1 (0 to V_{REF})" and "Range 2 (0 to
2xV_{REF})") Or should this be made tunable via sysfs? (E.g. by writing
to the scale property? Or a separate property?)

Hi,

Its a bit of a tricky one. You can find arguments for and against either. Like "devicetree is for hardware description and not application specific configuration data", or "I know which setting I want to use, having the kernel apply it makes it a lot easier".

What we've done in the past in the IIO framework is to make the scale property writable for such devices. Together with a scale_available property to list valid options. This is the most flexible option as it allows to change the setting at runtime for applications where it is required.

Maybe the right solution is a mix of both, have the property writable by default, but allow firmware to restrict the available options based on what the system designer though makes sense. E.g. on some boards having the ability to switch at runtime makes sense, on others it does not.

- Lars